While at the Los Altos Farmer’s Market Thursday evening, I picked up lots of luscious, ripe strawberries. For Mother’s Day, I am going to create the decadent treat of chocolate covered strawberries with a health-conscious twist for my mom. Forgoing the usually recipes that call for milk chocolate full of processed sugar, and shortening, a processed fat, I am going to use a recipe that incorporates natural sugars and fats.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries From Scratch
- Approx. 24-28 fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder or raw cacao powder, sifted
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or agave)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (no subs)
- 1 tbsp. all-natural nut butter (cashew butter is a good choice)*
- 1/4 scant tsp. fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- Optional: Unsweetened shredded coconut, to garnish
- Wash and pat the strawberries dry. Set aside.
- In a small pot, whisk together the maple syrup, coconut oil, nut butter, and cocoa powder over low to medium heat. Whisk for a couple minutes until all the coconut oil is melted and remove from heat.
- Dip strawberries into the chocolate mixture, coating most of the strawberry. Place onto a plate lined with parchment paper or on a wire rack. Repeat for the rest and sprinkle with coconut. Chill in the fridge to set.
Symbols of affection for years, chocolate covered strawberries are a perfect gift for Mother’s Day. And, when mom finds out you made them yourself from scratch, she will be overwhelmed with emotion. You don’t have to tell her how easy it is; it’ll be our secret. Happy Mother’s Day!
Source: Oh She Glows